mom, what games did you like to play on the computer when you were a kid?
when i was a kid, we didn't have a computer.
WHAT? no computer?
nope, no computer. we didn't have a computer until i was a teenager.
well, that's not so bad since you could play games on your mom's phone.
uh, there were no cell phones either.
WHAT? no cell phones?
no cell phones, no wii, no xbox, no nintendo ds, no playstation, and no ipods.
silence.
i wish i could use this line repeatedly when i wanted to silence my children because i am on a really important phone call with the insurance company or when i have a migraine because they both stared at me like a deer in headlights, eyes wide open, perfectly still with drool slowly beginning to drip from the sides of their mouths.
REALLY?
REALLY?
i'm not sure what my world as a kid looks like in their eyes. probably much like the flinstones. i remember watching the jetson's as a kid thinking DANG, now they've got it made! at least once a week, brady and i seem to discuss our children and gratitude. how can we teach them to appreciate the things they have when their idea of a rough life is one without computers, ipods, or cell phones? and how can i really appreciate what i have when i didn't have to get up at the butt crack of dawn to milk the cows or walk to school uphill in the snow both ways?
just a thought.
8 comments:
Welcome back... it seems like its been awhile. I wish I could have seen the looks on their faces.
Right?
Here's a ringer for them if you need a future "stungun".
Mimi couldn't walk around talking because I was tethered to the wall with a curly cord, I didn't have TV period until I was 5 and it was black and white. There were no microwaves, milk got delivered on your doorstep at dawn, or we went to the milk depot because it got cheaper, we had a wringer washer and no clothes dryer, I ran through clean sheets my mother hung on the line. There were no CD players, or discmans, only radio and we played records on a phonograph, you played 33 1/3, what is known as albums, 45's which needed a small disc inserted into a hole in the middle of the record and a small switch on the player set to play 45 speed, or there were old 78's. I did walk to school in the snow, and I ran through the farmers wheat, took the tree house from the boys, ice skated on a frozen lake and swam in the ditch where I picked asparagus for my mom to cook. We played Red Rover in the evenings, Freeze tag and one neighbor got a trampoline when I was in the 7th grade. We walked to the Dairy Princess, had a malted milk shake made from real milk and ice cream for a quarter, we played 3 songs for a quarter from the juke box selector on the table, another quarter.
To mail a letter it was 5 cents, Gas cost 24 cents a gallon when I was old enough to drive, and a man came out and pumped the gas for you and washed your windows, plus if you asked him to he would check under the hood, which meant he would fill your radiator if it was low and checked your oil and put some in if you needed it, and he didn't get a tip for it either, it was part of his job, Flying cost a LOT of money and you dressed up to do it. We had an aluminum Christmas tree with a color wheel on it! No one had somebody to mow their yard, no one I knew anyway. The boy at the grocery put everything in paper sacks and carried them out for you expecting nothing in return.
UHHHH, I just realized my age was showing, let me put that down...
yes, i have had the very same conversation. so funny.
On the gratitude thought, I just read a quote by someone this morning that went:
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything."
Don't you love that?
I read that and thought I need it hanging in my house where my kids can refer to it when I tell them no you can't play DS for 3 hours and then they start crying as if their life is over.
DO i win longest comment in the world?
scratch that! I see mimi does!
SO TRUE! I've talked to my kids about this so many times and they just don't get it...like the fact that we didn't have an internet until I was about nineteen, and the dial-up modem took so long to work that you could walk away for an hour and just barely be connecting when you got back...
I actually remember the first CD I saw. I thought it was magic that you could push repeat or random, it was amazing!
No children, we had to use our imagination. We had to play with stuffed animals that didn't relate to a character on an online game. We DREW PICTURES.
Crazy, I know.
(I just watched the Jetsons the other day and seriously laughed my butt off. It doesn't seem so cool now, does it??)
"JUST A THOUGHT"... i have missed you!!! My kids think the SAME thing!!
I just read this. I was here. I miss you. And blogging. Very fun.
I laugh so hard when my kids make comments like this! It's amazing how times have changed! It was SO good to see you and your cute family this weekend! I love you all so much! xo xo xo
Post a Comment