Tuesday, September 7, 2010

i always knew

i wanted to be a mom.

i started dating at 16
i met brady at 17
i was engaged at 18
married at 19
pregnant at 20
with a baby at 21.

that baby was baylor.

it all happened so fast, but i wouldn't change a thing. it's how i imagined it. it's what i had planned from the beginning. every girl has a dream. my dream was to be a mother. at my baby shower, my close friends and family offered advice and shared stories. i remembered listening intently to what they had to say. i made mental notes based on their comments that these would be happy yet trying times, with late nights, little sleep, crying, and trying to understand non verbal cues. i was so grateful for those who had done this before.

after baylor was born, i kept waiting for the trying times, the late nights, the little sleep, the crying, the trying to understand non verbal cues. but they never came. i felt so blessed as i watched other mothers struggle with their infants and toddlers through these things. they just seemed to come so easy for me. which by the way i felt was a fair trade considering my awful pregnancy. (see severe hyperemesis gravidarum)

my son is now 14.

and my time is now.

the times are trying, there are late nights, little sleep, crying, and much trying to understand non verbal cues.

i am desperately trying to remember all of that advice that was given to me all those years ago in that baby shower. cause i need it now more than ever.

11 comments:

briana said...

i thought mothering a newborn was going to be the hard part. delivering a baby natural. nursing. staying up all night. carrying a child for 9 months. puking for 9 months straight. losing massive amounts of weight. thats not hard. teenagers. now this is hard.

Anonymous said...

M uddling through without a manual
O ffering unconditional love
T alking things through
H earing what isn't said
E ffective teaching with a prayerful heart
R emembering he chose you before this life

There was a song I can hum the tune to but cannot recall all the words but it went something like...

Which part is mine Lord which part is yours, by micheal McLean
Love forever mom

nikol said...

Here are the words per mom's request:
(the one's that apply-since space is limited)
Every sleepless nights knows many mothers
Who are wondering if they've done alright
And the dairyman's daughter knew more than a few of those nights
Had she given her son too much freedom?Had she smothered her two teenage girls?Did she spoil them too much or not trust them enough, to prepare them for life in this world?So she opened her heart to the heavens, and she spoke of her children by name & the prayer that she prayed, that her kids would be saved had a very familiar refrain...she said let's review this again
Which part is mine?, and God which part is yours? Could you tell me one more time, I'm never quite sure? & I won't cross the line, like I have before, but it gets so confusing sometimes-shld I do more or trust the Divine?
Please help me learn wich part is mine....

Heather said...

ditto to what you have said!!! my first was pretty eay too... except he didn't sleep very good. i could handle that. now i have a 3 year old. enough said on that. but, my 8 year old. yeah that perfect first child. i need a hand out on him. does the hormones already start this early. so yeah.. i feel ya. apparently it gets worse. CRAP! ;)

xoxo.

Marci said...

k that song nikol wrote down there...makes me cry everytime i hear the blasted thing!
it's so true though. teenagers are the hardest...they make you see everything that maybe you didn't do right or could have done better or that maybe they have a mind of their own and no matter what you did they are going to choose their own path. that is the hardest part of being a mother. i'll be rooting for you!
and i'm at the tail end of it so if you need to talk...

Brady said...

despite all the obstacles and the trials of a dual income household that we face. no matter how hard or desperate times have become. no matter how much does or doesn't get done there are two things that remain true. You love your children completely no matter what. and despite what you think, you ARE A GREAT Mom!!! I love you forever!!!

melanie33 said...

the greatest part about the hard teenage stuff is that you know it.
You know his hard stuff, his sad stuff, his good stuff and his bad stuff.
the airways are open and so is your heart.

blessing 1,999,999.

Katie said...

When I was pregnant, people would ask me if I was nervous about taking care of a baby and I would always say, no, I'm nervous about raising this baby. I am worried about those teenage years when they have to grow up and make decisions on their own. That's what scares me.

I know you're a great mom b/c you were always a great babysitter:)!!!

Brandee G. said...

We still need to talk, Goose! Everyone has pretty much said it all, but I'm still leaving my mark on this blog so that you know how much I love you...I'm always just a phone call or a text away...xo xo xo

This is Me .. LisaMe! said...

One thing I have always loved about you .. is your family values.. the love you have and the love you share.. It is enough to get you through anything.. that will come your way ..I loved you back then.. and I still love you today .. I Miss you my friend .. I love the connection we have.. it is inspired by God .. He had a purpose for us meeting .. and continuing to be friends.. Looking forward to the day.. we "See" each other again .. I love being your sister friend!

Jen said...

yep this is hard, and I am mere feet away and staying up all night too for the same reason so my door is always open for you. You can do it and so can I. We don't have a choice and we gotta brace ourselves, those darn girls are coming!! Love you!