Wednesday, October 27, 2010

he's gone.

yesterday was the day. BUM went quietly in his sleep. i got the call at around 5:00 in the morning. somehow even though i knew it was coming, it was still terribly sad and i was so unprepared. i started my day with the ugly cry.

i had a long day. i worked until 7. came home and got straight in the shower. skipped dinner. tucked the kids in and went straight to bed. if you know me . . . i never skip meals.

today is a new day, but it is gloomy and snowing outside and the sky is grey. so is the inside of my soul. even though i know what i know, i feel terribly human and sad today. is that normal?

tell me it is.

10 comments:

Brady said...

He is truly missed. His departure saddens us all. But it also draws us closer together. I love you. B

Amy said...

Very normal... I think when people don't feel that way, they aren't normal. I hope, in time, you will feel at peace about things. Please let me know if I can do anything for you.

Collette said...

So normal. I don't believe in noble suffering. For me, it's got to be ugly before it gets better. I'm glad you were able to go see him one last time before his passing. I'm thinking of you - let me know if you need anything.

Jackie said...

I agree with everyone else, it is completely normal. I'm sorry for your loss & hope you can find some peace soon. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Shirley Crowley said...

Sadly, it is the circle of life. Does it make the pain any less sharp, no. Does it cause us to pause and examine our own mortality, yes.
Let's try to celebrate his life.
He was a pro ball player. He made us laugh so hard our sides ached. He barged in and spewed Cajun all over us, ready or not. He loved out loud. He hunted, he cooked, he was an educator. He lived with zest. He cared. He buried a St. Christopher in our yard when our house didn't sell, when it was time for us to move away. He borrowed our tools and never returned them, his dog chewed up and carried our new shoes away. He sat patiently as a Catholic and listened intently and questioned the missionaries when we had him over.
He's gone. Yes. Can I drive by his house anymore and see him on his porch when I visit Louisiana? No. But in my mindseye, I have him pegged. I see the Cajun dance in his dark eyes, I see the chew bulging in his lip. I hear his laughter in my mind. All I have left is the tender memory I savor inside that made it worth being in Lafayette.
PS, OH and BUM, please tell Tina we didn't steal the pumpkins out of her yard. :)

Brandee G. said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Bri! It's never easy, no matter how prepared you are for it! Love and miss your face! I'm here for you...

melanie33 said...

Very normal. Obvioiusly. But it just doesn't feel normal, does it? loss never feels normal. I'm going through it right now too and it just feels like everything is inside out.

Hang in there.

skcoe said...

It's normal.

It's hearbreaking and unfair and horrible and untimely.

But normal.

I'm so sorry for your loss. What do you need, friend? I'm thinking of you.

Staci said...

so normal. i'm very sorry for your loss.

Jen said...

I'm so sorry. I hope the sun is shining a little brighter now than it was for you. Loss stinks. Thank goodness for the gospel and knowing we'll see those loved ones again! I'm thinking of you.