Thursday, October 14, 2010

my friend bum a.k.a. steve

this morning was a hit snooze twice kind of morning. once again, time was speeding along, leaving me behind as i was struggling to keep up. after yesterdays news, i felt numb so i turned the shower hotter than i could stand it. as i let my skin get used to the water my mind fogged over with the glass. i couldn't tell the difference between my tears and the water falling from the shower head. i knew i was going to be late for work, but i didn't care. so i just stood there. like a tree growing roots.

bum has cancer. liver cancer. he's down 30 pounds. his eyes and skin are yellow. sunshine is yellow. not skin. not eyes. i am speaking in church on sunday or i would leave today to go back home to the south to say goodbye.

his liver is failing while my heart is breaking. today i am going through the motions. but thinking of the line the sun will come out tomorrow is just not doing it for me today.

13 comments:

Brandee G. said...

I'm so sorry, Bri! I love you and I'm here for you!

Amy said...

I see why are sad... I'm so sorry. Please let me do something to help... I'm bringing dinner over tonight.

Heather said...

i love you & i'm soooo sorry. my grandma died of pancreatic cancer 2 years ago... i know the meaning & color of yellow. my heart aches for everyone grieving at this time. i'm sending love your way since i can't be there for you at this time. {{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}
you know i would bring in dinner & a great big thing of diet coke for you!!!
xoxo

Riane said...

I just stole a verse from your Blog! I love reading your blog! You are such an amazing person!! Miss you Crataaaaaaa!!!!!!

Collette said...

That stinks.

Jen said...

Just read your blog. I'm so sorry about your friend, that is terrible. Wish I could say some profound thing to help except you know the bishop would totally accept that as an excuse to reschedule you speaking. I will take your kids, take Brady with you and just go home. I promise I will take good care of them. Love you. xo

skcoe said...

I'll speak for you...GO!

Sometimes words just aren't enough when you hear of someone's tragedies...but know that you are loved and being thought of today.

I love you!

Jackie said...

Bri, I'm so sorry. Big hugs to you!!!

Brady said...

:( I wish I could have biscuit with him I miss that guy sniff.

melanie33 said...

awww. so sad.
hang in there. i am a phone call away...

Marci said...

ahh honey i'm so sorry!
big ole hug to you!!!

skcoe said...

I'm glad you're getting away this week. I'm glad you'll get some closure. I'm happy you have the flexibility to be there for him, and I'm thrilled you have a husband that supports you.

Have a wonderful trip back home! See you soon...

This is Me .. LisaMe! said...

I am sorry about your friend maybe these words will bring some peace:

Tears for Today

How to express the words that we feel
When emotions are raw and feelings so real
How do we prepare for what is to come
We fight to hold back the tears that must run
Afraid to let fears of grief overtake us

You will miss his soul
But his spirit lives on
So cry today
so tomorrow you can sing
Remembering his memory
will be a happy thing
Love you .. LisaMe!