Sunday, April 27, 2008

she gave me life...twice



mims (mom is my strength for those of you who don't know) today is your day. your birthday. you are 58 going on 29 again as you say. i am so happy that i got to fly in from utah to surprise you and spend the day with you. we should have never lived so far apart.

you are my mom.

you are the mom who everyone thinks is my sister. you are aging so gracefully and the lines you point out on your face are some of the very things i love the most about you. your crow's feet by your eyes (as you call them) are evidence of happiness to me, they are lines of laughter. and i love them. as i study my own face in the mirror, i see that i will one day have them too, and i love that.

you are beautiful.

you are the mom who even though we are all grown and have moved away still goes to bed thinking about what could i or should i have done different today for my children. you can still be found reading books on raising and helping nuture your children. who does that? you do.

you are knowledgeable.

you are the mom who never had to go to horticulture, design school or earn a degree in journalism because you have a gift for those things and that is just something that can't be taught. it comes so natural. the greatest part about it is that you are unassuming.

you are humble.

you are the mom that all of my friends wanted to come over and hang out with because it was your idea to buy the toilet paper and your idea to pay for it and then drive the getaway van as we left it in all of the trees of my latest crush's yard.

you are a friend.

you are the mom who has been there for the birth of all four of my children when you still had children of your own at home left to raise. at your expense of time and money. there you were.

you are selfless.

you are the mom who gave me life twice. you know what i am talking about. after birthing my own children, i get it. and to know that you would do it all over again knowing the pain and anguish gives me comfort in knowing i am worth it.

you are constant.

you are the mom that i hope to be. of all the things i want in life, what matters most at the end of the day is that- i do what i know i was born to do... and that is be a mother. i hope that my children want to run to me with their hopes and tears, laughter and fears. you were always there for me. i am so grateful for that.


you are perfect.

you are my mom.

8 comments:

melanie33 said...

Aww. A big old happy birthday to mimi!! I hope you took her to THE SCRAPBOOK store and went crazy! And I hope you come back by this weekend because it is Jonas' baptism Saturday and your little family better be there!! Or else I will use more exclamation points!!!

Heather said...

Umm that choked me right up! I feel & love my mom the same way! What a beautiful tribute to her!
I hope you are having fun!!

p.s. maybe mel got all the exclamation points from me!!!!! :)LOL

briana said...

from what mel has told me, your relationship with your mom is alot like mine! i hope one day you get ot meet her. are you getting excited for hawaii? stupid question!

Shirley said...

Finally the blah-g impaired mother gets to the comment section!!!! I like them too :)!!!!!!!!!!!!
I did not think I was Internet challenged, there is more I don't know about me I'm sure of it.
So, to my comment........
Uh. How does a mother respond to such a magnification of her character? It truly leaves me speechless, (lump in throat) breathless, (unable to find words to respond) and thankful that a daughter would send a placard out to cyberspace singing my praises.
Usually the child who is most like you is the one you "butt heads" with. That was my Baby Bri. At the time, I couldn't admit it, but now so proud of it.
I am grateful that she found the ability to excuse my feeble, half-baked attempts at motherhood. She calls them perfect? Am I? In her childlike eyes.....like I see my own mother. I cannot see her deficiencies through the cloud of love I hold for her either. So it goes.
Someone once asked me, "How can you possibly find room in your heart to love all your children?" This question was obviously asked by someone who never held a warm newborn still wet from the womb. Perhaps this person had one infant and felt the rush of a new life being placed in her arms but mistakenly thought the experience could never go beyond that fleeting moment. How sad....
So, to my second born I want to say to the world, my daughter is amazing. She has a soft sensitive side, she has an eye for beauty, she loves order, she cries easiy (but you won't see her tears, they are like her sneezes, she holds them in). She walks tall among her peers. Her husband adores her. Her children respect her and seek her approval. She will always be revered by them.
She grew into an awe-inspiring woman, whose traits continue to unfurl, I pay tribute to her and call her my friend. Love beyond what words could ever say........simply mom :)

Shirley said...

Thank you Melanie for the birthday wish! And we will recover from the binge...........but there will be more to come. lol

briana said...

sniff, sniff. i love you mom.

Shirley said...

I love you too bobbies!

Anonymous said...

Well dads turn. Both mother and daughter bring tears. All is true and makes me a very proud dad and husband. How can one guy be so lucky.