Monday, January 12, 2009

hijacked blog

hello blog readers... this is melanie. I have temporarily hijacked Bri's blog to tell you a little story. I am slightly long winded, so forgive me, and stick with me.

In 2001, I made a very fortunate mistake. I took a job at my gym’s day care. It was a nightmare job that paid nothing. And because of my issue of not being able to say no, I ended up managing the place after a few months. I hated the pay, the hours, the way my child never got attention, the filth, but most of all my co-workers. These people were, to put it plainly, certifiably INSANE. Every single one. I dreaded going in to work and spending hours with these women. I was afraid maybe their insanity would rub off on me.

Then a new hire came along. Although I dreaded meeting another crazy chick I scheduled myself to work with her. Her name was Briana. She freaked me out for several reasons. She felt it necessary (as I did) to actually clean. She was nice. Said sane things. She was kind to the children. I still wasn't convinced though and I decided I would test her by talking to her; we made small talk and she still didn’t scare me. In fact, I liked her. I decided to schedule myself with her for most of my shifts.

We started to get to know each other and she started to freak me out even more. We had lots of similarities. Our couches were the same; our bedroom furniture was the same. The fabric we picked out for our nurseries were the same. We used the same storage bins for our toys. We thought alike. We talked alike (minus her frequent use of the word y’all). Then she told me one of the most important pieces of information that sealed her to me for life: she scrapbooked. It was then that I knew; we were long lost twins…. Or something.

We were fast friends; we worked out together, went to weight watchers together, and drank Dr. Pepper together, scrapbooked together, then suddenly got pregnant together. (This one was not planned, just a very freaky coincidence) We started puking together. We got an ultrasound at fetal photo together and found out we were having little girls together. So obviously we shopped together.

Fast forward 7 ½ years later to today; my best friend, Briana turns thirty. Plus four. This morning I was reflecting on what her existence in this world has meant to me these past years. In the beginning I was grateful for her sanity. That I could work with someone who doesn’t drink out of the children’s sippie cups when people aren’t looking. Then I was grateful to have someone to call and ask how many points were in a chik-fil-a sandwich. Then I was grateful to have a crafty buddy who shared my obsession with collecting the whole line of something just to feel complete. Then I was grateful to be sick and pregnant with someone. Then as our husbands both lost their jobs, I was grateful to have someone to feel my pain, someone to talk/cry to, someone to listen to me. Before I knew it, Briana was simply a person I couldn’t live without. She was someone I talked to every day (and I am not a phone girl). She was someone I felt comfortable crying in front of (and I am not a public cryer) She was a real, true, genuinely kind and giving person. The best kind. I soon came to realize that I had found myself a best friend. In the worst place on earth. Second only to the DMV. And for that reason and that reason only, I thank my lucky stars I ever decided to work in the hole that is the children’s club.

Happy Birthday, Bri. I thank you for your friendship. I thank you for your ears, your shoulder, your heart, and your brain. All things I could not live without.

For all you readers, Go ahead and leave this birthday gal a nice little comment on this big birthday. And hurry up, because she is certainly not getting any younger.

18 comments:

briana said...

oh sneaky one...

first, we can still be bff's since you didn't post any pictures of me/us...oh right, WE DONT HAVE ANY!

second, thanks! now i don't have to blog today! :)

third, the greatest gift of all is knowing you still feel that way.

happy birthday to me.

Jen said...

Happy birthday Bri! I didn't realize you're just a month younger than I am - so I don't think you're old at all :)

I hope you have a great day and a wonderful 35th year.

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday Briana!!! I hope you have a great day!!! Love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

my story starts almost 16 years ago. i was a young lad of 24 with a mullet (yes I had hair then) and an attitude. the school day had finished and I was ready to sell wholesome family entertainment to the masses at my six dollar an hour job. many an agent were head down as to not allow distraction be swage them from getting that lofty goal of twenty sales that day. the day did not seem out of the ordinary when all of a sudden there was an audible noise that can't be explained. it was a noise that said "there are new recruits walking into the room". i looked up and saw the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen! she glowed like a diamond in some mystical movie about magic pirates or ninjas. i think i said "wow". i then turned to my co-worker and he plainly said "don't even think about it". i smugly responded with "it's open season".
over the next few weeks our boss greg fostered a relationship between the fair briana and i. he gently pushed her into my direction by telling her that i had a vast knowledge of the used car market and to ask me to take her to look at said jalopy's. i on the other hand had ulterior motives. to me this was a date with the brightest and newest member of our cubical group (and man was she pretty!).
we looked at one or two different used car lots when I put my plan into motion. i said "hey lets go get something to eat". i was so cunning because everyone knows that people have to eat. so we grabbed a little mickey-d's and started out for another used car dealer. then i slyly suggested that we go miniature golfing. i knew that this would be the clincher for it to be a "real date" if she said yes. briana, being smart and beautiful, replied that where she was from, they called it, "putt putt". she then responded by saying that it sounded fun. i was in! we golfed and she kicked my butt. we went to dinner and I took her home. And would you believe it? i kissed her! i loved her from that day on.
fast forward to december 2008. on the 22nd we celebrated our 14th wedding anniversary. to say I loved her then was naive. how do you encapsulate all the trials and tears, all the joy and all the fun? i simply say "i love you" in an attempt to cover all of the wonder and craziness that is our life together. you are the best mom and the best wife ever. you care for others more than yourself. you fight for your family. you are the glue that binds this family together. you are my hero!
may you have the best of birthdays today and may you know that "i Love you" means a whole lot more than just those three little words. to me it means you and me together forever.
i love you.
forever yours
B

Zoe said...

Oh! Happy Birthday Bri!! That is such a nice tribute to you! You rawk girl . . . I just need to get off of my butt and hang out with you one of these days!! LOL! I hope that you have a wonderful day!! :) :)

Zoe said...

Okay, now I seriously have a tear in my eye for the sweet sweet post that Brady left. That is soooooo sweet. Awwww. :)

Sarah said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Amanda said...

Have a VERY happy birthday!!

Jen R. said...

Happy birthday! This was so sweet

Heather said...

hey i just love you too!! ummm brady is so sweet.... if only ;)
i hope you have had a wonderful birthday.
call me this week so we can chat. my biopsy is tomorrow. i will let you know!

xo

Val said...

I hope you had a great day! Thanks for being such a wonderful friend. Lunch was so fun last week. You are so thoughtful!!! Happy B-day

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday babe! What a genius idea Mel! Hack into Bri's blog. I would have never known it was your birthday! I love everything Mel said about you and what Brady said too. That is so sweet. (ok, my blog name and password is jeffyfroggy1@gmail.com and tmbg. Shhhh, got it?) Ahem, so my birthday is coming up.. (scratching belly and looking around) ;) Just kidding. There are slight errors in my name and password. I can't post that publicly!! I hope you had a wonderful day today and tell me everything you got!!!

Heidi P said...

hope it was a great day. Loved all the tributes to you! :)

This is Me .. LisaMe! said...

Ok.. so I missed your Birthday .. but that is OK.. I have missed a lot of your life.. since.. our first phone call.. For all of you friends of Briana's .. we met through a phone call from Alabama to Louisiana.. Briana.. brought me home.. I answered her call.. from several states.. away.. and at the end asked if they were hiring.. where she worked.. she said as a matter of fact.. they would be soon.. so I sent a resume.. and in just a few months.. we were working together.. I was there for a birthday.. not sure which one.. I was hired New Years day.. of that year.. I think it was 1998? of course I have it written down somewhere.. but not looking for it since I am already a day late...lol We not only became.. great working buddies..(she was my boss.. the youngest I had ever had .. I believe your were 22..23) We did become friends.. as well.. friendship lasting through the years.. of absence .. lol

Happy Birthday my dear sister friend.. I have missed so much of you .. through the years.. I would have gladly shared in your tears...I have missed seeing you grow in wisdom and love.. I have missed seeing your little children .. I have missed You my dear friend.. and Have Hopes to see you one day soon Again... Love.. LisaMeYour sister Friend!

Ashley Rae said...

Ashley, here- came from Mel's blog. Um, happy birthday! And people seriously drink out of kid's sippy cups when they're not looking? That is just wrong. I'm glad you didn't do that.

Sara said...

wow, what a touching tribute...by your friend, and your husband. i wish i knew you better...but after reading that, i feel like i do.

happy birthday bri!

:)

Jennifer said...

Hello, just checking in. Hope you had a great day!

skcoe said...

Oh my gosh I am CRYING...your Melanie is just like my Michelle...how did you ever live without her?

Cute little hijacking friends. Love it.