Thursday, September 24, 2009

question

he has colon cancer that has spread to his lymph nodes
he lost his job
he is addicted to drugs
they have no insurance
they will lose their child by age 12
she has an eating disorder
they can't make ends meet
she is on the brink of alzheimers
she is raising 5 children by herself
he almost lost his hand at work
he was tragically killed in a car accident in 5 o'clock traffic
she had a headache that was actually an aneurism
he is in jail for his involvement in another's death
she is debilitated by pregnancy
he is widowed at 35
she is suffering from depression
he is waiting for a cure
he was held at gun point
she went to sleep and never woke up
they buried their first born
she lives alone with no family nearby
she was violated by another
she was home alone when an intruder broke in and robbed her
he carries the weight of the ward
he lost the will to live at 14
they are drowning in debt
she can't get pregnant

every single line listed above is a true story. all people i know. some related, some not. but that is not my point. my point is everyone has it hard.

be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. ~plato

it got me thinking . . . what's yours? maybe it is death, lonliness, divorce, sickness or maybe it is simply a flat tire, lost keys, a temper tantrum or a bounced check. either way . . .

i really want to know.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found out that because of some female issues, I am not a candidate for IVF.

Alicia said...

My husband and two kids are sick.

Chief said...

wow, you are brave to ask for everyone's woes.

after listening to your list, I've decided I don't have any...thanks

Brandee G. said...

Well, this week my "hards" have been a daughter with disabilites, that threw fit after fit this week, and no one knows what to do...my Directv getting shut off because I forgot to send my broken dvr back and now they are charging me a ridiculous equipment charge that I need to get reversed before I can pay my bill...being one of those that "can't get pregnant" and dealing with the heartache of having a sister-in-law pregnant with her 8th child...running out money before we ran out month....but your post reminded me that it could always be worse, and we should NEVER judge another one, because you have NO idea what they're going through...the problems that are weighing on someone's mind...I'm just SO grateful I have people like you in my life, Bri, that will meet me at Applebee's for lunch and totally make my day! That talks to me just about EVERY day on Yahoo, and my day just isn't the same without it! I'm so grateful for all my blessings, and when times get hard, as difficult as it is, things get better if you count your blessings instead of your trials. I love you, Bri! Thanks for sharing, today! I needed this reminder!

briana said...

my daughter doesn't sleep thru the night. she will be 3 in december.

Sarah said...

I too feel very blessed after that little reminder. And I need to be better about not judging others... I do it even when I think im not. I've noticed that I judge others more when I am thinking of myself the most. (does that make sense?)

Heather said...

i believe in miracles. truly i do. i think you know...
my son doesn't sleep through the night. he is 2.
i miss my husband.. his hours at work are hard on us as a family.
i miss my mom
i need more patience
i struggle with the scriptures

i love you as a friend. that is a blessing.

Lisa said...

The biggest trial I am going through right now is helping my mom deal with the grief of losing her husband. It has been one of the hardest things I have done. I worry about her everyday. I keep trying to remind her of all her blessings. I am blessed that that is the hardest thing I am going through right now. Thanks for the reminder.

Jen said...

I'm expecting my fourth child in 5 years. But it really isn't a trial, but a blessing. :)

Zoe said...

wow. There are so many things out there that are affecting people's lives. I don't think that I could add anything to the list . . . I am certainly grateful for my own trials. Though, my heart is broken for one little boy that I know of - he has already been abandoned for most of his 6 years of life. Some things just aren't fair.

Zoe said...

Bri - I just read about your daughter not sleeping through the night. Oh my gosh!! I seriously have to tell you about this miracle pill that is working wonders for us. Melatonine. We heard about it through some friends, researched it, talked to our doctor about it and found it to be completely safe. It doesn't work for everyone but it has been a miracle for us. It is especially used in cases where children have a hard time staying asleep in the night. Call me if you have questions.

Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

My grandfather has Alzheimer's.

Staci said...

i just had to sleep on my 2.5 yo's floor so he could take a nap.

i have 6 loads of laundry to do.

i'm pretty sure i haven't cleaned the bathroom in a few months.

does any of this really matter? no, it really doesn't. thank you for reminding me that everyone has hardships and mine are probably very small in comparison.