burke: mom, i know what i want to be when i grow up.
me: you do? tell me.
burke: a regular mom.
me: what's a regular mom?
burke: a mom that stays home.
which led to an explanation about our family. daddy's self employment, brooklyn's insurance denials and our need for group health insurance.
me: you do? tell me.
burke: a regular mom.
me: what's a regular mom?
burke: a mom that stays home.
which led to an explanation about our family. daddy's self employment, brooklyn's insurance denials and our need for group health insurance.
there are some things in my life that i refuse to think about. things that bring me to my knees. things like brooklyn's future, medical care, losing someone close to me, and working while my kids are young. but every now and then i think about them. have a good ugly cry and then do what i know i have to do. but what do you do when one child desperately needs you to work while another desperately needs you to be home?
8 comments:
So...was it your goal to make me cry today...LOL! I empathize with you more than you know, but actually you do know, because we talk about it a lot. I'm so grateful you're in my life and you understand what it's like! I love you!
what do you do?
The best you can.
And that is exactly what you've always done.
That is a heart-wrenching comment from Berkeley. No matter what we appear to our kids as, they will question why we aren't someone else.
Have a sweet heart to heart with her when you are tucking her in. Express to her how much you miss her when you are at work. Make time for special moments with her, I KNOW YOU DO THIS, but keep it in check, it's easy to put off.
Here is the bottom line......
Berkeley is going to remember what a precious childhood she had with both of her parents in her home. She will appreciate her family traditions and she WILL remember special "you and her moments" and private jokes.
Motherly love isn't dependent on whether you are working outside the home. Some moms spend less time with their kids when they are present.
Dig deeper into her muse. What triggered her comment? Is she missing after school talks? Pick up the phone... Is she missing a note on her after school snack? Or maybe notes tucked in her backpack or lunch. You are so thoughtful and creative, you will know what to do that will help her when you aren't around.
Bri, I know you know all of these things and knowing you, you are probably already doing these things.
The explanation you gave her was certainly "why", but at her age she doesn't really care about the insurance and daddy being self employed, even though she needs to know. At the end of the day she wants more "YOU" in her day.
Maybe her after school talk can be when you get home in the kitchen making dinner, she helps as you guys recount your days.
So what I'm TELLING YOU is keep being the fabulous mother that you are. Never doubt that, save yourself from doubt, I doubted and look at what my daughter is today. I no longer doubt, I must have "done something good".
bri. i'm speechless. i have tears. i know what is in your heart.. it is warm+gentle+caring+loving+dedicated
i love u. you are amazing & nothing less. you do your best & that is all that is asked of us. i don't even begin to understand your feelings but i know you do a dang good job at what you do. your kids & husband loves you...... that is all that matters.
I can't believe how often your blog makes me tear up! Your sweet girl loves you so much, she wants you all the time. What a compliment to you that your daughter adores you. Don't be so hard on yourself, I know you do what's the right/best thing for your family. I think your doing a fabulous job:)
the grass is always greener. i think every mom faces this struggle, whether they choose to stay at home, work, or didn't have a choice in the matter. you are doing the best you can with what you can! from what i can tell, you are doing a great job!
This touched me...I'm glad I came by. I will be back.
Bri .. you live one day at a time.. one momemt at a time .. keep loving your family.. the way you do.. and Trust God to take care of the things.. out of your control... His Miracles are ALL around you ... You are so truly Blesses.. I am so glad we had the chance to meet .. our lives continue to touch.. one an other .. I love you.. LisaMe!
Post a Comment