Wednesday, July 30, 2008

off and running

ok, not to school, but back towards the house to kiss me goodbye!


you picked out all of your school clothes, fixed your own hair and bought a new adult spinny toothbrush! and for the first year since you started school you are off on your own without baylor in tow! he moves on to middle school this year while you get to be the oldest brother to your now kindergarten going sister. your picture this year is so different from the last! no more baby teeth, your own new hairstyle and a shoulder bag instead of your usual backpack. yet, i feel what that really means is less mommy and more independence.
when baylor was born, i couldn't wait for him to roll over, sit up, walk and talk. i was so excited for the next phase. but with every baby since, i find myself trying to put on the brakes. slam on the brakes! yet the harder i try, the faster time seems to fly. then, last night, we had a moment:

me: (through tears) you know, you are gonna be the oldest now at school.
braden: i know. it's gonna be so cool.
me: as the big brother, you'll need to watch out for your little sister.
braden: well, why are you sad?
me: it's just that you are all grown up.
braden: what do you mean?
me: well, you don't need me to dress you. you don't need me to change your diaper. you don't need me to feed you. you know?
braden: (through tears of your own) mom, i will always need you.

what you don't know is that i will always need you more than you will ever need me. love you brade.

6 comments:

Hand Picked Daisy said...

Bri, you stinker. Made me cry. That is the sweetest thing. I'm going to relish and live in the moment with my boys now. Cause soon, they will be to old too. It scares me but Grant is already growing up to fast.

Jennifer said...

Ha ha. She said that she remembered you from last halloween. I forgot that your kids went there. So is it nice to have less kids in the house?

melanie33 said...

I remember that kid in diapers with a bottle in hand like it was yesterday. Third grade. How crazy. Someone is speeding up time, I just know they are.

Lisa said...

That is so sweet!!! What a great kid. C.J. starts third grade on the 18th. I told him it feels like I was just in third grade. He looked at me lke I was nuts.

Heather said...

o.k. so you just made me cry... what a sweet sensitive boy like his mom!!! I had so fun with you & Mel.... i just love you both soooooooo much!! I promise i will post soon... a little crazy right now!!

love ya

Jen said...

How sweet! That brought tears to my eyes. Kids do have their tender moments, don't they?!