Sunday, September 7, 2008

making changes


tonight marked another change of seasons in my life.

as we made our final walk through at the place we have called home for the past 3 1/2 years, i was choking back the tears. as i looked around, at first i saw how dirty the walls and carpet had become. i noticed the dust collecting on the ceiling fans above and the film that layered the blinds, but as i let the tears come, memories flooded my mind:

my youngest was only 12 months old when we moved here; she is now 5. my other daughter was conceived in this home. my sisters kids were cared for day after day in this home while she went through school and a divorce simultaneously. my hottie hubby cooked his first gumbo here. my home had held visits from people who are no longer with us. my driveway marked many a heart to heart with those i care most about. my dining room held many a card game. my grass held the one and only slip and slide in the neighborhood. my son was baptized while the other son received the priesthood. my testimony of miracles was born here.

the list goes on and on; and although i am excited for what awaits us at our new home, there is apart of me that i feel i am leaving behind.

9 comments:

Jen said...

I totally understand. I felt that way leaving the classroom after 9 years. I couldn't stay too long in the emptiness...it hurt too much. Chapters are hard to close, but the new ones are worth it!

briana said...

that is EXACTLY it. . . the emptiness. that is what hurt. brady said the same thing, it was a stepping stone and that home is where your family is.

Jennifer said...

Hey Bri! Yes, I remember you. Dork :) I only call people I love dork. Those are so many awesome memories. I was just trying to see if I could say "I know how you feel" but I cant. It kind of shocked me as I thought about it but Phil and I have been married for almost five years now and we have lived in four different places. We haven't had much time in each place to lay down roots or make big lasting memories. I thought, how sad. We're getting the label, the family that moves every year. I hope we can stay in Tooele for awhile and that my kids can be raised here. We love the neighborhood, the small town feel, and our house. We occationally miss being on the east side and have thought about moving but I don't want to. I'm so excited to see pictures of the new house and how you decorate it. How fun!! and exhausting. Hope you're doing well!

Sarah said...

I actually love when a change brings on those feelings and emotions. It's hard to have changes, especiall big ones like moving, but it reminds me of all the blessings I have and helps me to know that more are to come, even with the change.

It's a good thing you are amazing with scrapbookin so that you can keep those moments real and alive.

melanie33 said...

also a scrap room was created and NEVER USED BY ME. an exercise room was created AND NEVER USED BY ME. a really sweet theater system was put together and NEVER USED BY ME. a playroom was formed in the family room and NEVER USED BY MY KIDS.
what i am saying is you couldn't have missed it much without memories of me right??
here is to your new house and all the use i will get out of it!! lol

Lisa said...

I remember when we moved when I was 18. We had lived in our house in Sandy since I was 7. It was hard espcially when it was all empty. At least you still seem to be really positive about all your changes.

Val said...

Change is always hard for me too. But think about all that is to come in your new home. I am sad to see you move a little further away, (we barely see each other now) but it is always fun to start fresh and begin a new chapter of life.:)

Elisa said...

Amen! I felt the exact same way when we moved.

This is Me .. LisaMe! said...

humm.. I feel change as I read this and wonder which direction.. it is..there have been so many changes in my life.. and I wonder.. who keeps changing the signs..lol ..